Travellers in Ottoman Lands The Botanical Legacy
Saturday May 13–14, 2017. Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
Presented by the Association for the Study of Travel in Egypt and the Near East (ASTENE) in conjunction with the Centre for Middle Eastern Plants, part of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh and Cornucopia. The Seminar covers many fascinating subjects on (though not restricted to) the following main themes:
– Travellers’ accounts related to the botanical legacy of the former Ottoman Empire in the widest sense(e.g. present-day Turkey, the Levant, Egypt, Algeria, Arabian Peninsula etc.)
– The flora of the region, including their heritage, preservation and medicinal uses
– Bulbs of the region, especially tulips, and their cultural significance; Tulipomania
– Ottoman garden design and architecture
– Floral and related motifs in Ottoman art, including textiles, ceramics etc.
– Culinary aspects of the botanical legacy of the region
– Literary, pictorial and photographic depictions of any aspect of the botanical and horticultural legacy of the region
– Orientalism as applicable to any of the seminar’s main themes.
For full details, please see the provisional programme here – TIOL Draft Programme There will also be opportunities to view a number of small related exhibitions, and to visit the RBGE herbaria and live collections.
Please refer to the Seminar Booking Form or for on-line booking please use the PayPal link below at the bottom of the page. Booking will also be available via Eventbrite in early February 2017 with the deadline for bookings being 15 April 2017. Tickets will also be available at the event but please note that demand is high and numbers may have to be capped, so please check the website nearer the time. In the meantime, any enquiries should be addressed to email@example.com
Seminar Bursaries are also offered: please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
For on-line booking please use the PayPal link below.
The location of the conference can be found here – RBGE Location Info
Accommodation options can be downloaded here – TIOL accommodation lists