ASTENE Post-Graduate Research Competition
Saturday 15th May 2021
11:00am – 16:00pm (via Zoom)
We are delighted to announce our Call for Papers for our inaugural postgraduate research competition.
Candidates will be selected to present their research at a virtual day of research, debate and networking.
This competition is intended to reward the most promising and engaging research in the interdisciplinary and cross-period fields of Near Eastern studies and travel history.
The winners will receive a prize of: £200 (1st place), £150 (2nd place) or £100 (3rd place)
Winners will also receive as a free year of ASTENE membership, their paper published in the ASTENE Bulletin and a copy of our most recent publication: Pious Pilgrims, Discerning Travellers, Curious Tourists: Changing Patterns of Travel to the Middle East from medieval to modern times (Oxford: Archaeopress, 2020).
This competition is open to all researchers currently studying towards a postgraduate degree from anywhere in the world. Abstracts and papers must be delivered in English. Papers must relate to ASTENE’ s research interests and can include (but are not limited to):
- Accounts of travellers (of any origin point) to the Near/Middle East and North Africa
- Travel writing including fiction, memoirs, diaries, guidebooks, and journalism
- The visual culture of travelling including painting, drawing, photography, and other artistic ephemera
- Critical approaches to Orientalism & postcolonial, indigenous and feminist perspectives on travel to MENA
- Histories of mobility, migration and diaspora
- Digital and other new media projects for understanding the history of travel
To apply: Please submit an abstract of no more than 300 words to email@example.com by Monday 1 February 2021.
Details on the programme and registration will be updated on this page in due course.
For further details, please see: POSTER – Postgraduate Research Competition
Please direct any further questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2021 ASTENE. All rights reserved.