Palestine Exploration Fund Free Lecture Series, jointly with ASTENE, in association with the British Museum Dept. of the Middle East
‘Solomon N. Negima: A Palestinian Dragoman and his Clients (1885-1933)’, Rachel Mairs, University of Reading Thursday 14th September 2017, 4 pm Stevenson Lecture Theatre, Clore Education Centre, British Museum.
Travellers in Ottoman Lands The Botanical Legacy
Saturday May 13–14, 2017. Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
CALL FOR PAPERS
Presented by the Association for the Study of Travel in Egypt and the Near East (ASTENE) in conjunction with the Centre for Middle Eastern Plants, part of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. Contributions are welcome from a wide range of disciplines and interests. It is envisaged that the Seminar will cover many fascinating subjects on (though not restricted to) the following main themes:
– Travellers’ accounts related to the botanical legacy of any part of the former Ottoman Empire (e.g. present-day Turkey, the Levant, Egypt, the Balkans, Arabian Peninsula etc.)
– The flora of the region, including their heritage, preservation and medicinal uses
– Bulbs of the region, especially tulips, and their cultural significance; Tulipomania
– Ottoman garden design and architecture
– Floral and related motifs in Ottoman art, including textiles, ceramics etc.
– Culinary aspects of the botanical legacy of the region
– Literary, pictorial and photographic depictions of any aspect of the botanical and horticultural legacy of the region
– Orientalism as applicable to any of the seminar’s main themes.
The Seminar Booking Form and the Draft Seminar Programme will be available on Eventbrite in early January 2017 with the deadline for bookings being 15 April 2017. Tickets will also be available at the event. In the meantime, any enquiries should be addressed to email@example.com
Please email your offers of papers to firstname.lastname@example.org together with a working title, a brief abstract of not more than 250 words, and the names of authors and their affiliations. We also welcome the offer of pre-organised panels of up to four speakers on specific themes. Participants will be informed about the acceptance of their paper by 15 February 2017. Seminar Bursaries are also offered: please contact email@example.com for information.
Deadline for submission of abstracts:
Sunday 15 January 2017
For more information see Ottoman Lands Flyer
For booking information see the Ottoman Conference Form