The Association for the Study of Travel in Egypt and the Near East (ASTENE), established in 1997, encourages and promotes education and research in the history of travel and travellers in Egypt and the Near East.
ASTENE’s sphere of interest ranges from ancient travellers such as Herodotus to those of the present day, and covers a region from Greece and the Ottoman Balkans eastward to Turkey and the Levant, Egypt, the Arabian Peninsula and the Mesopotamian region. Membership is open to interested persons of any nationality.
ASTENE acts as a focus for the collection and dissemination of information, materials and contacts by means of conferences, lectures, tours, a website and publications. The Association is keen to foster an international co-operative network of academics, private scholars and other parties interested in the history of travel.
ASTENE’s principal activities include:
- Quarterly publication of the ASTENE Bulletin: Notes and Queries, which features news, events updates, book reviews and articles, and serves as a medium for posing research queries
- Regularly updated website – www.astene.org.uk, including a database of research resources
- Biennial conference and regular day schools, with conference bursaries available
- Tours to areas such as Cyprus, Syria and Sinai
- Private visits to museums, archives and other places of interest
- Publication in book form of selected conference papers.
ASTENE is a Charity registered in England and Wales (Charity Commission Registration number 1067157). If you would like to make a donation clicking on the ‘Donate’ button below will take you to the PayPal website, where you may use a credit/debit card or a PayPal account to donate an amount of your choice.
Your donation will contribute towards a bursary fund for young scholars, the conference fund, or publication costs depending on the present needs of the Association.
ASTENE has, in the past, furthered charitable causes connected with preservation and public accessibility of documents pertaining to travellers, researchers and artists. You may see the results of one of our projects – The Watercolours and Drawings by George Alexander Hoskins here – www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/4hoskins_opening_page.html.
ASTENE also offers bursaries at our Biennial conferences and supports publication of conference proceedings and other specialised texts.
Copyright © 2019 ASTENE. All rights reserved.